Durability of Poly Pipe systems
Compared to traditional materials, Polyethylene (Poly or PE) Pipe installations are the most competitive due to these major advantages:
- High durability
- Can be used for a diverse range of applications
- Non-corrosive, chemical resistant
- Leak free due to high quality butt welding and electrofusion welding capabilities
- Available in a wide range of thicknesses and pressure ratings with fittings and equipment to create an entire system
- Light weight and flexible for easier and more cost effective freight, handling and installation
- Pipe is available in long lengths or coils
Poly pressure pipes are designed for a long lifetime (in excess of 100 years) in underground infrastructure. Installing the pipe in the ground is typically the most expensive part of the operation (usually 85 – 90% of the project costs), therefore the long life and durability of poly piping remove the need to regularly replace pipes within their working lifetime.
Rising to the Challenge
Piping made from polyethylene is a cost effective solution for a broad range of piping challenges in mining, industrial, mechanical, marine and agricultural applications. It has been tested and proven effective for above ground, surface, buried, sliplined, floating, and sub-surface marine applications.
High-density polyethylene pipe (HDPE) can carry:
- potable water
- hazardous wastes
- compressed gases
In fact, polyethylene pipe has a long and distinguished history of service to the gas, oil, mining and other industries. It has the lowest repair frequency per kilometre of pipe per year compared with all other pressure pipe materials used for urban gas distribution.
Polyethylene is strong, extremely tough and very durable. Whether you’re looking for long service, trouble-free installation, flexibility, resistance to chemicals or a myriad of other features, high-density polyethylene pipe will meet all your requirements.
REF: PE100+ Association & Plastics Pipe Institute