The coupling or the installation? A checklist
This checklist will help you determine the root cause of a failed coupling.
- Proper fitting: Is it centralised on the pipe?
- Accurate installation: Look for evidence of witness marking
- Accurate installation: Check the angle of each pipe (they should be square to the coupling)
- Correct procedure: Spot check weld crews. Are they using tape measures & china graph pencil to witness mark the pipe?
- Correct procedure: Ask for evidence of recent, random weld inspections by your supervisors
Common causes of coupling failure
- No witness marking
- Coupling ins’t centralised on the pipe
- Pipes aren’t square to the coupling
When the element is exposed – which can happen as a result of any of these three causes – then the pipe can overheat and ignite during welding. As a result, the weld won’t take perfectly, and the joint will fail.
Not all apparent failures are failures due to parts.
It’s critical that when a part like a coupling fails, you examine it for all possible and potential failure reasons. If you don’t, you may miss an opportunity to improve production across the board.
You can also bounce it back to your vendors and/or fabrication engineers. We help our clients with issues like these at Advanced Piping Systems, because we we want to help you avoid lost time all the time.
When you need focused help fast, get it from a supplier whose success is
keeping your plant moving. Call Advanced Piping Systems now on 1300 792 879.